JOIN
Get Time
features   

The Educational Component of TopCoding
Monday, March 1, 2004

By pmadden
TopCoder Member

Introduction
In the real world, I teach graduate and undergraduate algorithms at an upstate New York university; for the past year, I've been requiring my students to compete in SRMs (Single Round Matches). While there's a wide range on how well the students do, and I've destroyed the university TopCoder rating, most are better off for the experience.

As a new semester has begun, and there will be the usual flurry of "why do you make us do this" questions, it's a good time to talk about the benefits (and also pitfalls) of TopCoding. My objective is to make my students smarter and more competitive in the job market. While writing software is by no means the only thing a computer scientist needs to do, it is a fundamental skill. A weak coder is sure to have problems in many other areas, and the best way to improve is to buckle down and start writing.

Benefits
While there's a long list of things I like about TopCoder, I see the main educational benefits to be the following.

• TopCoding requires mastery of a language
    With normal classroom assignments, there's enough time for a poor programmer to stumble through the textbook, recompiling for hours on end, finally cobbling together something that works. In the arena, as well as in a real job, there's no time for this. If an employee needs two days and the help of a friend to put together "Hello World," they'll be out on the street in no time. The hard time limit of the arena makes it easy for a professor such as myself to find and help the students who have weak coding skills.
  • Algorithms figure prominently
    While some SRM problems are simply hacking exercises, many require knowing and being able to code classic algorithms. I doubt that there are any Div-1 coders who don't know Dijkstra, Floyd-Warshall, Quicksort, or 0-1 knapsack off the top of their heads; for a computer science career, being able to recognize problem structures is essential.
  • Creativity is required
    In most university courses, there's an "expected answer" that is hinted at in the textbook. With an SRM problem, the time limit requires creativity and new thinking. One SRM pushed me into thinking about an old problem in a new way--resulting in one of my recent research publications, and a probable dissertation topic for one of my PhD students. While one might wish to have a university course teach "creativity," this is extremely hard to do.
  • Competition is Good
    Head-to-head challenges bring out the best in anyone. With TopCoder, grey coders strive to become red, Div-2s hope to break into Div-1; all it takes is patience, effort, and the will to improve. I've noticed that both grad and undergrad students become more serious about their studies after getting trounced by a 13-year-old kid in his bedroom half a world away.

Pitfalls
While there are many good things to be said about programming challenges, there are some real dangers as well--things that everyone should be aware of.

• Not all of Computer Science is Hacking
    There is a great deal to learn that has little to do with writing software; hardware, operating systems, formal languages, theory. I would hope that no one would construe my belief that coding is important with the idea that it's the only thing one needs to know. In my career, I find that what I learned in my English classes is as important as anything else.
  • Not all problems should be solved in 75 minutes
    To say that some correct SRM solutions are poorly designed would be an understatement. TopCoder has design competitions for good reason; the best solutions may take weeks or months to develop, so that the code is robust and useful in many different situations.
  • Not all problems should run in less than 8 seconds
    For any problem, there may be a number of different solutions. As an algorithms buff, I find myself looking for the lowest big-O complexity solution, rather than something that takes very few lines of code. So, while I'm working on a tricky O(n log n) convex hull, someone else cranks out a brute force solution in a fraction of the coding time. In the real world, the more efficient algorithm might be the right way to go; in the arena, that's seldom the case.

Conclusion
From the outside, SRMs might look like an exercise in hacking. There is, however, a great deal to be learned by good students, poor students, professionals, and even a university professor. As should be obvious from my first few competitions, I learned C++ in the arena.

While it may be uncommon to find TopCoder in a university course today, over time this may change. Time constrained challenges are a great way to sharpen coding chops, and better coders produce much more reliable software. The Association for Computing Machinery understands this--they've been doing competitions for thirty years. Perhaps it's time for mainstream academia to get with the program.