JOIN
Get Time
employmentOpps   

Take a look at job openings at TopCoder and TopCoder Software.

HandleComment
kcluneHello
AdamSeleneHello!
shoaib.soomroare there any internships at topcoder.com
saringopalanI work on the dot net techologies extensively
sql_lallwow..it got busy rather quickly
deepakiithi whats going on here
bwrightshoaib.soomro: we have one or two for the summer
saringopalanI love to program anything and everything on C#....lol
bwrightshoaib.soomro: they are doing grunt work for ivern
messsaringopalan: we have alot of .net work and alot coming up soon
sql_lallsaringopalan: have you looked at the C# development projects?
mmorrisWe are talking about fulltime positions within TCS and answering some questions on component competitions.
saringopalanmess: that
norton_gateswhat are the requirments for Technical Manager>
saringopalanmess: that's nice to know
messsaringopalan: any feedback is important
shoaib.soomrobwright:thats good to hear, how can i apply
mmorrisnorton_gates: Ability to speak with customers and translate business requirements to tech requirements
bwrightnorton_gates: you need to be able to manage a project, gather requirements, work with the customers
TalakomAdamSelene: I've just finished reading the development tutorial written by you .. it is really great
AdamSeleneTalakom: I appreciate it! =)
saringopalanmess: how do i participate in doing projects for you?
AdamSeleneI wasn't aware that I was credited for it
messsaringopalan: go to the development section
norton_gatesanything else?
mmorrisnorton_gates: ability to be a systems architect (ie. how things fit together)
bwrightnorton_gates: also data modelling, infrastructure (high level at least) are helpful
messsaringopalan: there are a lot of listings open
mmorrisnorton_gates: Travel is also a requirement
saringopalanmess: okay, sure I'll check that out
mmorrisnorton_gates: Clients are located throughout the US
bwrightshoaib.soomro: i'm sure that we'll post anything we are looking for on our website
norton_gatesmmorris: could not that done offshore?
bwrightshoaib.soomro: make sure you opt in to receive emails
messsaringopalan: if you have any questions feel free to post them on the forums
mmorrisnorton_gates: it requires direct interaction with clients
shoaib.soomrobwright: ok
dmksmmorris: So if I want to be a fulltime member on TCS, which skills should I have?
mmorrisnorton_gates: the technical part can be done off shore
bwrightnorton_gates: we've found that having PMs on site makes the project run much, much better
AdamSeleneProduct (Technical) Managers are the first line of contact with the clients, so they're generally on site with the client... which are again, generally in the USA
saringopalanmess: sure
kcluneanyone interested in hearing a little more about TCS can email me at kclune@topcoder.com
mmorrisdmks: we have two fulltime positions available: Technical Manager and Component Architect
norton_gatesmmorris: i see, so beside these requirments, what else?
mmorrisdmks: the technical manager will work with clients of TopCoder Software to specify and design solutions
wilqomg so many admins :D
mmorrisdmks: the architect will work with technical managers to break down applications into the software components that will make them up and manage the component competitions on our website
felix_halimmmorris: what are the examples of TopCoder Software?
messdmks: we also have assembly positions open too which is developing apps and combining apps
shoaib.soomrobwright: do u think doing SCWCD and SCEA will be plus point in getting job;
messdmks: combining components together
mmorrisnorton_gates: Those are the main requirements, for more information you would need to check out our software development methodology
AdamSelenefelix_halim: Our components are available at software.topcoder.com
dmksmmorris: Yeah, can I work in China, like wishingbone? :-)
bwrightshoaib.soomro: dont know them
itspHello everyone
AdamSeleneWelcome, itsp!
mmorrisfelix_halim: The examples of our customers include: Pfizer, Wyeth, ABB, Praxair, PMUSA, ING, Gentiva Health Services, Avaya, ESPN...etc, etc.
itspThis is the first time I on Topcoder
mmorrisdmks: if you are qualified to work as an application assembler than that is an option.
itspI want to know more information about you
mmorrisdmks: have you competed in components?
sql_lallmmorris: is there any way for component winners to know which clients used their components?
norton_gatesmmorris: so from where could i get your software development methodology?
messsql_lall: it depends on the client
AdamSeleneitsp: Well, we'll be happy to answer any questions you have! This chat room is focusing on TopCoder Software, which develops component and application software.
messsql_lall: some like to remain anonymous
dmksmmorris: Yes, I am one finalist of TCO design competion
itspAdamSelene: Yes
sql_lallnorton_gates: http://software.topcoder.com/components/methodology.jsp
mmorrisfelix_halim: an example of the systems include anything from building handheld phone software to Security Applications, to eCommerce websites, to financial trading and banking systems
itspAdamSelene: I'm from Vietnam
mmorrisdmks: are you coming onsite?
dmksmmorris: yes
itspAdamSelene: what are you doing in Topcoder?
bwrightnorton_gates: http://software.topcoder.com/applications/methodology.jsp
mmorrisnorton_gates: high level overview is on http://software.topcoder.com under applications
AdamSeleneitsp: I am an Architect, I work with Technical Managers and clients to design large scale custom applications
itspAdamSelene: well
mmorrisdmks: then we can talk about it then, we need more people like WishingBone!!!
AdamSeleneitsp: I take requirements from the client and figure out existing and new components to meet the requirements, as well as their integration within the client's environment and specs
itspAdamSelene: I'm very interested in your area
sql_lallmmorris: does from Australia count too?
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: do still do coding
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: Not very much
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: soory..
itspAdamSelene: My friend, are your company using outsourcing?
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: imeant u still do coding
AdamSeleneitsp: TCS uses members from around the globe to design and develop components
dmksmmorris: Yes, see you in CA :)
mmorrissql_lall: not typically, most cliens like anonimity because of competitiors seeing what they are up to....most of the time it is not relevant but most people think what they are building is a huge secret.
itspAdamSelene: yes
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: I do code in my spare time, but as an Architect it is limited to proof of concept type prototypes, if even that.
itspAdamSelene: Well
mmorrisdmks: perfect, track me down when you get there....or if you want to talk before that about it you can email me at mmorris@topcoder.com
itspAdamSelene: I will introduce my friends in Vn
dmksmmorris: ok, thanks
sql_lallmmorris: ok..doesn't matter too much, just thought it'd be cool to say: "hey, ESPN uses code i designed"
bwrightshoaib.soomro: tech mgrs & archs dont get to code much, it at all, at most messing around with SQL or front end code
itspAdamSelene: They will participated in your area
AdamSeleneitsp: great! once registered with TopCoder, you and they can register for component projects at this URL: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=ViewActiveContests&ph=112
itspAdamSelene: Yes
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: i heard one arch said; the less u code the more its good for u
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: Depends on your outlook, I suppose =)
itspAdamSelene: I will visit the site you send me
bwrightshoaib.soomro: we try and do everything through the members
bwrightshoaib.soomro: that requires coding
bwrightshoaib.soomro: 80% of our apps (aprox) come from components
mmorrissql_lall: I agree, I would rather keep it public (its the tc way)
itspAdamSelene: I see that, your company good in business
bwrightshoaib.soomro: and app assemblers do the rest
itspAdamSelene: Thank you my friend
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: thats good; so how much is the rework done.
AdamSeleneitsp: You are very welcome!
shoaib.soomroAdamSelene: i think it is zero.
itspAdamSelene: I know more about from you
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: Rework of existing components?
shoaib.soomroadmins: yeh
itspAdamSelene: I hope, I will see you soon
sql_lallhow much is TCS separate from the algorithm-running side of things? (i.e. did you have to pay the other half of TC. for this sponsorship?)
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: Generally bugfixing and/or upgrades of existing components will go through the process again (design and development review)
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: it depends on the scope of the bugs
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: or the degree of refactoring/upgrade
shoaib.soomroadmins: do the open source frameworks help u.
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: We consider open source software based on licensing and so forth, I can't speak for everyone but I keep an eye on emerging and popular technology in that sphere
bwrightsql_lall: fairly independant, but most designers and developers for components also do (or did) algorithms and clients might use both as well
shoaib.soomroadmins: like struts, hibernate
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: It depends on the client
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: I know a few clients use struts and tomcat
AdamSeleneshoaib.soomro: many use JBoss and similar app servers for Java
mmorrissql_lall: We are one company though, so no we do not have to pay for the sponorship.
karol1I have one question about design & development competition. I can't understand what's the difference in job between designer and developer.
karol1I know C/C++ & Java, and prefer to have more coding than writing documentations - so should I interest in design or development competition ?
TAGbwright: How do you manage updates / improvements to systems already developed ?
bwrightshoaib.soomro: we dont like to include them in componnets but at the app level we do use those frameworks
cptnInsanenoGood morning
AdamSelenekaroll: sounds like you'd be interested in development
AdamSelenekaroll: Designers do no coding at all
gt494to all of the TCS admins in the room, why work for TCS?
cptnInsanenoad
cptnInsanenoAdamSelene: what is the usual qualifications to be a designer?
AdamSelenekaroll: They are responsible for developing the component design and documentation: use cases, sequence diagrams, class diagrams, and a specification for the component as a whole
AdamSelenekaroll: Developers implement the design
shoaib.soomroadmins: I wonder what is left for arch when there are such a customizable frameworks available.
AdamSelenecptnInsaneno: Be a TopCoder member, apply =)
karol1AdamSelene: ok, thanks
bwrightTAG: most of what we do is usually vertica or horizontal extensions to existing systems, but we have a done a few greenfields as well
Leftyso this requires knowledge of UML, correct?
AdamSelenecptnInsaneno: To be successful, you will need a good understanding of UML and design patterns, and experience with the language (Java or C#)
messkarol1: you are probably more interested in dev
shoaib.soomroadmins: :)
cptnInsanenoso if u just started out, better be a developer
mmorrisLefty: yes
AdamSelenecptnInsaneno: Definitely, you will learn a lot from implementing the good designs from our designers
mmorrisLefty: But you can learn by competing, one of the benefits is that you get graded and scored by the best designers and developers
bwrightgt494: 1. what we do is different than the rest of the industry and in my opinion a lot cooler and better
messsql_lall: yeah that would be great
AdamSelenecptnInsaneno: From there, you will gather your own experience, and find ways to improve the designs, and eventually you'll be ready to write your own =)
sql_lallAdamSelene: well..a good understanding, *or* the ability to learn new things quickly
bwrightgt494: 2. we get to work with the member base
Leftyi see
AdamSelenesql_lall: indeed =)
cptnInsanenoAdamSelene: I work in a small IT company as a developer/programmer
bwrightgt494: 3. its fun delivering highly important applications
gt494bwright: define better for the folks in the room ;)
cptnInsanenoAdamSelene: wish i could do just one thing at a time sometimes
wilqcan i make components and get normal cash if im living outside U.S. ?
bwrightgt494: we actually do CBD and get large scale reuse on applications
AdamSelenecptnInsaneno: Development projects are very highly focused, and the component scope is typically limited. So that might be right up your alley =)
Leftyyou guys are in GLastonbury, I work for a small company in New Britain
messLefty: not too far at all
karol1mess: so , as a developer I'll receive all docs, class names which I have to use etc. and have to write code?
Leftyi had some friends that lived on your street
messkarol1: yes that is it
bwrightwilq: yes
Leftypretty weird
saringopalanmmorris: Where do I get to see the stuff to be made in dot net? Plz gimme the link
mmorrisTopCoder Software puts the power of the member base to use through the Component Competitions and building large scale enterprise applications with those components.
AdamSelenesaringopalan: All available projects (including .NET) are at this link: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=ViewActiveContests&ph=112
mmorrissaringopalan: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=ViewActiveContests&ph=112 has current projects available
cptnInsanenoAdamSelene: whichever it is, as long as it's professional project development i'm all for it
wilqbwright: there isnt any problem? do i have to make account in U.S. or something ? i heard that is a problem when u are out of U.S. (mabe it was a lie)
gt494bwright: do you have any stats on the reuse metrics?
saringopalanAdamSelene: thanks
messI think one of the coolest parts of working with topcoder is working with the best and brightest people through out the world to build large scale applications with an exciting new methodology
hubPLdo I need to know anyspecific external libraries/technologies (like JSF which seems to be used quite frequently) or can I start just having some basic knowledge of java api??
saringopalanmmorris: thank you
mmorrissaringopalan: and here is a list of components in our catalog
TAGmess: How about assigning prize for 3rd and 4th place in TCS too ?
mmorrissaringopalan: http://software.topcoder.com/catalog/c_showroom.jsp
bwrightwilq: we have members on all continents right now
cptnInsanenohow do people code for Java GUI these days?
AdamSelenehubPL: It varies from project to project
sql_lallhubPL: it depends on what projects you choose...usually some require only java
messEvery TCS employee has a direct effect on the how the methodology evolves
bwrightgt494: 50% of apps come from generic components
hubPLsql_lall: thanks, this sounds fine for a starter
messTAG: we tried that before but it did not help participation
fabiorogerroughly how many developers and how many designers TCS has under it staff?
TAGmess: how about a mix now ? Make it for some of components ..
bwrightgt494: 20-40% come from custom components (that may be reused at the client for other projects)
sql_lallhubPL: each projects name, when you click on it, should take you to a site which includes a description, as well as required technologies
AdamSelenefabioroger: Developers and designers come from our member base, which is over 60,000 strong I believe
sql_lallbwright: is there a reason you direct everything to gt494?
mmorrisfabioroger: the builk of our work is done by members in design and dev competitions
TAGAdamSelene: 60000 ? Or 3000 ?
bwrightsql_lall: he asked
fabiorogerAdamSelene: thanks
sql_lallbwright: ah, ok...i saw it happened above too, sorry
AdamSeleneTAG: all members are eligible, I believe, active developers or designers might be a much smaller subset
mmorrisfabioroger: we do have some fulltime members that do assembly of applications for us, but that is around 12 people since most of the work is done through competitions
fabiorogermmorris: ok, but then you for example is a regular employee or a member who participates writting components?
messivan_metelsky: congradulations on earning your target
fabiorogermmorris: hmm ok, thanks
mmorrisfabioroger: I am an employee
gt494Is there travel invlolved working for TCS as a PM or Architect?
TAGmmorris: How it's possible to sign up as assembler for TCS ?
mmorrisfabioroger: I am looking to hire people for some positions
AdamSelenefabioroger: All of the oranges are employees, but many of us started as members
ivan_metelskymess: thank you
messfabioroger: all component design and dev are by members
messivan_metelsky: it is very impressive
mmorrisTAG: typically we ask you, but you can email service
gt494And how much travel?
AdamSelenegt494: Indeed there is, it varies from client to client
TAGmmorris: What are requerements ?
messgt494: a PM travels 70% of the time
AdamSelenegt494: PMs might expect to travel 4 days a week, Architects less, but it is highly dependant on client requirements
messgt494: architect is 50% travel
fabiorogeradmins: thanks
hubPLthe development projcts require ANT or some other build-sctipts - are these generated automaticly by some utilities. Or more generally: is it a real obstacle for someone knowing java? (I dont mean that they're written in java:))
bwrightTAG: most importantly be consistent and successful in devlopment competitions
gt494mess: care to describe the TCS methodology and why it works?
hubPLit was a question...
AdamSelenehubPL: Ant scripts are typically included and require minor alterations
messhubPL: the ant scripts are provided to you
AdamSelenehubPL: there are tutorials to help with that
AdamSelenehubPL: see this page: http://www.topcoder.com/wiki/display/tc/Getting+Started+in+Component+Design+Competitions
hubPLthanks:)
AdamSeleneWelcome!
gnosioman ..i love ur arena applet..
bwrightgt494: did you check out this page:
messgt494: The tcs methodology is trying to convert software development to more of an engineering practice
gt494mmorris: How quickly has TCS grown over the past ... let's say year or two?
bwrightgt494: http://software.topcoder.com/applications/methodology.jsp
mmorrisgt494: TCS has grown by 500% this year
gt494bwright: thanks
mmorrisgt494: we have added a bunch of new clients
gt494mmorris: going forward?
TAGmmorris: Did you manage to make TCS profitable ?
kclunedoes TCS sponsor visas?
mmorrisgt494: projected to grow between 100 - 200 percent per year for the next 3+ years
mmorriskclune: we have not in the past
messkclune: currently we do not, but we do have app assembler positions open to people who distinguish themselves in software competitions
datawranglerwhere are TCS employees physically?
AdamSelenedatawrangler: All over the place =) Headquarters are in Connecticut, USA
TAGdatawrangler: Earth ;-)
mmorriskclune: aside from large scale enterprise systems we are building things in the RFID space and Wireless technologies like J2ME
AdamSelenedatawrangler: Technical Managers are typically onsite at clients (all over the USA)
messdatawrangler: all over the country, mostly east coast
AdamSelenedatawrangler: Architects as well.
datawranglerTAG: Works for me. :)
gt494mess: what are you looking for when it comes to hiring?
mmorrisside from large scale enterprise systems we are building things in the RFID space and Wireless technologies like J2ME
kameleidonsoftdoes your TCS methodology related to RUP ?
BEHiker57W**BEHiker57Wss Cute, too.
shoaib.soomrommorris: what is RFID
mmorriskameleidonsoft: partly, because a lot of the deliverables are similar
sql_lallBEHiker57W: did you type /mess?
mmorrisshoaib.soomro: Radio Frequence
bwrightkameleidonsoft: i'd say we accomplish the same goals, we are different though
messdatawrangler: we do not require people to relocate for the most part
TAG**TAGss
sql_lallshoaib.soomro: kinda like barcodes, but really small and can store more data
shoaib.soomrommorris: how J2EE supports these tech.. by J2ME
mmorriskameleidonsoft: our specification process is somewhat like RUP but our overall process is much more agile
bwrightdatawrangler: just need to be near an airport
messgt494: for the PM position we are looking for people who like to solve business problems and can try to identify requirements when the business experts may not know them themselves
mmorriskameleidonsoft: the component competition is the core to our dev methodology
datawranglermess: that's cool -- I'm in the greater Chicago area, so airports we have
messgt494: the architect position is someone who can view the entire system as a whole and can break that system into smaller functional areas and is more technical
gt494mess: then why look for someone technical?
messdatawrangler: we have some clients in chicago as well
gt494for the PM I mean
mmorrisshoaib.soomro: J2ME is for things written on small devices like phones and PDAs
datawranglermess: i quessed you would
mmorrisshoaib.soomro: RFID is like the latest barcoding strategy....it can be used for a ton of stuff
saringopalanmmorris: thanks for the links
bwrightgt494: the spec phase requires the PM to have a firm understanding of things like system arch, data modelling, UML for use case and activity
messgt494: it is very important to be able to know what business requirements are technically feasible. the pm also works on over all architecture design and evaluating current systems at the client
kameleidonsoftbwright: well, for me RUP is more like a framework that you may use to build your own methodology depending on own environment... but your idea of competing is really new to me :)
bwrightgt494: additionally they are trying to align business and technical needs
messkameleidonsoft: if you want to think of RUP as 10 on the documentation scale and XP as 1 TCS is about 6.894
sql_lallmess: 'about' :p
messdatawrangler: are you currently looking for a new job?
kameleidonsoftmess: that's pretty accurate ;)
hubPLis J2EE knowledge necesary for development??
messhubPL: for most projects no
messsql_lall: :-)
bwrightkameleidonsoft: i view us as having a bunch of layers
shoaib.soomroadmins: ok i will look into it, if possible tell me what kind of development is done through J2EE in RFID
datawranglermess: yes.
bwrightkameleidonsoft: the top level is app process and its built on component process
gt494tc: I believe you are most recent TCS hire from the member base in the room, why did you take the TCS job?
bwrightkameleidonsoft: the component process is built on competition
kclunedatawrangler: I can help you with that.
karol1mess: and could I ask you one more question? near by projects sometimes is "java" sometimes "custom java"..what's the difference?
gt494mmorris: what past of the current process needs the most improvement?
AdamSeleneCustom means that it won't be added to the general catalog for reuse
tc/gt494: To be able to work with the extermely talented members in the community.
messkarol1: custom we don't pay royalties for
messkarol1: also sometimes the forum is private for only participants int he competition
bwrightgt494: we are looking into automating parts of the process next
mmorrisgt494: We need to contiue to improve our component architecture to get the max reuse from the components in our catalog
kameleidonsoftbwright: yea, I see. Once you've succedeed decoupling app/component dev, you're really in good track for doing tremendous things...
tcgt494: 2. Applying the rather new and exciting methodology.
mmorrisgt494: I also think we can always improve on everything else
sql_lallbwright: when can we expect to see Java 5 features come into components?
gt494mmorris: spoken like a true boss :)
shoaib.soomroadmins: what software engineering process ui follow.
messdatawrangler: one thing we do require is competing at least once in a software competition
mmorrisgt494: We need some really talented designers to join the TCS team
messshoaib.soomro: we have our own methodology
gt494tc: do you find it challenging?
tcgt494: oh, yeah.
gt494tc: like what?
mmorrisgt494: in case I forgot to mention this...I think component competitions rock!
messsql_lall: 1.5 will come when clients want them we are starting to remove 1.3 requirements
bwrightshoaib.soomro: its done during spec to develop a fully functional prototype that we use to validate with clients our reqs
shoaib.soomroadmins: ok.
gt494mmorris: heh
tcgt494: I'm about to start my first project, that really requires a deep understanding of the various technologies on the Microsoft platform.
bwrightgt494: mmorris is more of a sales guy than a boss :)
tcgt494: Like how different pieces can fit together.
tcgt494: The other exciting part is after working on the components, I now see th bigger picture of where those components get used.
datawranglermess: today will be my 52nd. :)
kclunetc: What is your development background?
messdatawrangler: sorry i was referring to design or dev competitions
bwrightdatawrangler: you need to do a component design com
bwrightdatawrangler: what mess said
shoaib.soomroadmins: alright. do u ppl use any maturity model
dmytrohello, i am not able to listen to this conversation now, but will the log of this conversation be published on topcoder website?
tcgt494: I used to be C/C++, and then got interested in Java and C#.
datawranglermess: ah - i havent tried those yet
karol1mess: what about coding style in function body? has it an influence on final score in development competition?
gt494dmytro: yeah, we will make sure
dmytrogt494: ok, thanks a lot :)
bwrightshoaib.soomro: like CMM or IEEE? no
messkarol1: yes, let me send you a sample scorecard
tckclune: I sharpened my C# skills through the alg. competitions.
messkarol1: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=dev&d2=support&d3=devReviewSample
datawranglermess: not quite sure how they work
hubPLwhen I have a component to develop do I have to be aware of the pieces it's going to co-operate with?
shoaib.soomroadmins: oh .. these are industry wide implemented
messdatawrangler: there are a few tutorials here and here
AdamSelenehubPL: Everything you need to know will be included in the documentation
tckclune: And then enriched my .Net knowledge through dev/design competitions.
karol1mess: many thanks :)
AdamSelenehubPL: If there is anything you think you need that is not there, you can ask for it on the forums
messhubPL: for dev it is all in the design
gt494bwright: How do client developers react to TCS onsite? Hostile or friendly?
datawranglermess: thanks - i'll chk those out
bwrightgt494: at my projects its been friendly
hubPLadmins: thx
paramindiahello can any one explain the methodologies of project developement
gt494mess: What expenses are covered when people travel?
bwrighthubPL: http://software.topcoder.com/applications/methodology.jsp
kranjitadmins: how to get started for these component competitions?
bwrighthubPL: thats for apps
messparamindia: http://software.topcoder.com/applications/methodology.jsp
AdamSeleneparamindia: there is indepth discussion at the link bwright just posted
AdamSeleneparamindia: and mess =)
messparamindia: are you looking for application or component methodology?
bwrighthubPL: this is for components http://software.topcoder.com/components/methodology.jsp
messparamindia: this is an overview of the components http://software.topcoder.com/components/methodology.jsp
messdatawrangler: this might help you too http://software.topcoder.com/components/methodology.jsp
gt494mmorris: How many PM's and CA's currenlty work for TCS?
bwrightgt494: ~25
sql_lallkranjit: I recommend the tutorials (http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tutorials&d2=comp_index)
paramindiai went to that link and opened the PDF file
gt494bwright: How many more do you need?
sql_lallkranjit: as well as 'getting started': http://www.topcoder.com/wiki/display/tc/Getting+Started+in+Component+Design+Competitions
paramindiathat file that contains description
datawranglermess: thx - ill b in touch
paramindiabut i didn/t found any registartion link
bwrightgt494: its more about quality than quantity
messkranjit: there are also forums to ask questions as well for the components or off of the home page as well
paramindiaplease explain
kranjitsql_lall: thanks a lot!!
gt494bwright: standard bland answer, thx
bwrightgt494: :)
AdamSeleneparamindia: The registration link should be at the bottom of the component description page
kranjitsql_lall: i see that the component compttns give away a lot of money :D
messparamindia: you can only sign up between 9 AM ET Wednesday and 9 AM ET saturday
bwrightgt494: i think we need a bunch more architects
lironkthe problem with the component and development contest is that they take too long
gt494What is it like to work with mess?
sql_lallkranjit: yes...a nice incentive
bwrightgt494: great!
lironkunlike the srms which are an hour
bwrightgt494: mess knows everything... about sports
lironkthese really become a problem for working people
bwrightlironk: they should take 10-15 hours once you get the hang of things
messlironk: you can work around your schedule
mmorrisgt494: about 25 between PMs and architects
sql_lalllironk: unfortunately, it'd be impossible to fit a component into 2 hrs, so has to be a week
shoaib.soomrobwright: how much time do we have to submit the solution.
mmorrisgt494: 2/3 PMs
bwrightshoaib.soomro: oone week
lironksql_lall: naturally
ndothi
hubPLI know it may vary but what's the expected time to be spent developing a simple component (simple==as_simple_as_possible_here) ??
mmorrisgt494: architects can typically handle more projects at once
ndotWhat are the opportunities are available
lironkcoffee's ready...brb
wilqalmost 800 registered to today competition :]
messhubPL: about 10-15 hours
messhubPL: is what we shoot for but other members may have ideas
ndothow to apply for this
hubPLmess: thanks, it deosn;t seem too much...
alangelov?? ?? ?????! :)
AdamSelenendot: For component competitions or for today's algorithm competition?
mmorrisndot: what are you interested in? Technical Manager or Architect?
sql_lallmess: time to go, thanks for fixing the project - i'll email you at some stage
messhubPL: if you have any questions there are plenty of people to help in the round tables
messsql_lall: look forward to it good luck today
ndotarchitect
mmorrisndot: email dmessinger@topcoder.com
ndotis there any other opportunities like programmer
hubPLmess: I'll certainly go there
wilq4 min
wilq:D
mmorrisndot: or geldridge@topcoder.com for more info on the position
messndot: yes work on some component competitions and there are dev positions available as well
kclunemmorris: or kclune@topcoder.com
ndotokay
ndott
ndotthank you
ndotis component development or competition
shoaib.soomroit was very nice meeting u admins, u ppl do swallow all sorts of our question. thanks alot.
alangelovwhere is pops ?
wilq2 min
ingvarrrDo you invite programmers from countries other than USA? Is it possible to get a position if I'm not a US resident?
ndotIs component competition or development
messrgrig: hi rgrig how are youdoing
messndot: both
ndotokay.
AdamSeleneingvarrr: Assemblers and some other positions do not require relocation, but Managers and Architects must be on-site for the clients, which requires US residency in general, I believe
messthanks for the chat today guys good luck in the SRM
ndotHow to get a job in topcoder
ingvarrrAdamSelene: thanx
kclunendot: you can email me. kclune@topcoder.com
AdamSelenendot: It also helps to compete and succeed in our component developemnt and design competitions
kcluneAdamSelene: that too.
messndot good luck in the algo competition
ndotthank you all
messnorton_gates: good chatting with you good luck today