Winners
Bloomberg

SRM 317 Chat Transcript

HandleComment
BB_StuartLet me introduce myself. My name is Stuart and do Fixed Income software development for Bloomberg
S_A_R_O_JHello Stuart nice to meet u
BB_StuartHello, How are you? We are just starting. A few others from Bloomberg will be here shortly
jmpld40the chat will start in 5 minutes
S_A_R_O_JAlright ... I am fine .. how do u do ..
S_A_R_O_JAlright ... I am fine .. how do u do ..
BB_StuartGood. Busy. Excited about the round of topcoder.
S_A_R_O_Joh same as me :)
S_A_R_O_Jcan u tell me something about Fixed Income software developement ...
S_A_R_O_J@Stuart
BB_StuartThere are many types of securities. Two big examples are fixed income and equities.
BB_StuartWithin Fixed Income you have basic bonds, Swaps, Credit derivatives and Mortgages. You also have Currencies and Commodities
S_A_R_O_Jhmm i c
BB_StuartMy builds software for all of those areas
S_A_R_O_Jhmm sounds interesting ..
S_A_R_O_Jdoes it revolve around softwares which can automate the process of calculation of interests , validation of credit cards ... and online mortagage .. correct me if am worng :)
BB_StuartIt can be a screen for analysis. It can be helping the trading system with API to these analytics so they can be traded. Parts of it are very GUI based and other parts are very much about huge amounts of calcs quickly
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: no, MTGE is different. It is more like this. WHen someone gets a mtge on a condo or a house or a co-op, the bank does not keep the MTGE anymore
S_A_R_O_Jhmm ...i c .. in what platforms do you work on
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: it sells it on. 100s, 1000s of these MTGEs are then put together and sold as securities. And traded just like any bond would be. But they are very complicated mathimatically
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: While clients run on software on the PC, all the real work is done on our UNIX servers.
harvey6ftGreetings!
S_A_R_O_Jso basically one builts web applications
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: Yeah, kind of. Except it does not run in a typical browser. CLients have a bloomberg app on there desk. And we use GTK for building screens currently.
S_A_R_O_Jwhat are the u looking in at the moment from US .. and what openings do you have :)
S_A_R_O_JUS !=united states ;
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: We in general look for smart people who want to learn. While we are largely a c/c++ shop, we will hire people with other backgrounds.
harvey6ftWhere are the jobs located?
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: Ever year we have what we call JR programmer training classes, for people right out of school for with a few years of experience. We have quite a few openings are year
BB_StuartS_A_R_O_J: The jobs are located in NYC and Princteon NJ. For people in Europe, we also have a London R&D office
riteshkapoorhellooo
BB_Danhey
riteshkapoorwuts this chat room for?
BB_Stuarton of my collegues Dan just came in. I have been answering questions for a bit, but feel free to talk to either of us
jmpld40riteshkapoor: this is a chat session to talk to Bloomberg
BB_DanThat's me
riteshkapoorok
BB_DanIf you have any questions about our company, what software we create, etc
BB_DanFeel free to ask!
riteshkapoorso there r 2 ppl from BB
stupidcoderI really don
riteshkapoori've heard about your comp
stupidcoderdon't know your company.:)
tepSo, would like to ask, what kind of software you create?
jmpld40riteshkapoor: Dan and Stuart are Bloomberg representatives
BB_Stuartyes, BB_Stuart and BB_DAn. you can tell by the BB
riteshkapoorone of my friends is there too
stupidcoderwhat products do you make?
riteshkapoorwut technologies do you use mainly
BB_StuartThere are two bloomberg people here (soon to be three)
tepi dont know that bloomberg also need software developer?
BB_DanWe provide financial information and analytics to the financial world
BB_StuartWe build finanical software that is used around the world. This software called the Bloomberg Professional is Bloombergs largest business by far, so yes we need software developer
Perseph0neI hope I'm not reiterating a question that's been asked before, but can someone enumerate the locations of the Bloomberg developer positions?
BB_DanMost of our technology teams are in NY
BB_Stuartin the US: NYC and Princeton, NJ. For our European participants: London
tepoh, what about singapore?
riteshkapoorhey wut about non-us, non-european ppl?
BB_StuartWhile we have an office in singapore, it is for sales. There is no software development there.
tepoh..
BB_StuartCurrently the software development offices are in the US and the UK
BB_DanIn regard to the technology question...
BB_DanWe primarily develop software using C/C++ on UNIX, though we use many other technologies such as Java, C#, Perl
tepso, is there any chance non-US/non-UK software developer to get in?
tepthe software runs on UNIX?
BB_Stuartyes, the software runs on UNIX machines in our datacenters.
SecureCodingwhat is your website address? www.bloomberg.com ?
BB_Dantep: Your country of origin does not matter, but we only have software development offices in the U.S. and U.K.
BB_DanYes, our website is www.bloomberg.com
harvey6ftDoes Bloomberg sponsor F1 or H1 visas?
BB_Stuartyes, that is the website. but that is not the main product that our customers use
SecureCodingBB_Dan: But it looks like to news site more than anything other
SecureCodingBB_Dan: what is your customers websute?
SecureCodingBB_Dan: website?
BB_DanAll of the news, radio, TV is derived from our main product, the Bloomberg Professional Service
BB_DanThat is not a website
SecureCodingBB_Dan: I want website address of your company where I can find your products
BB_DanIt is service that we deliver using software
harvey6ftwhat do your customers do with the software?
BB_DanMake investment decisions
riteshkapoorBB* : how would you categorize your work - maintenance of existing products
riteshkapoor- r&d of new prods
riteshkapoor- others
tepso actually bloomberg offer financial analysis / information through the use of the software?
BB_DanOur customers are banks, hedge funds, insurance companies, etc
BB_StuartLike any company with software, it is both: We develop and build new software for new markets and new opportunities and maintain what we have
Perseph0neHypothetically, would someone with a strong mathematical background (say, of the Putnam Fellow ilk) be grouped with 'developers', or more traditional analysts?
dynamitehackerwhat kinds of projects do Bloomberg developers work on?
BB_Stuartyes, through the bloomberg you can take a complicated MTGE or credit derivative and see how it will behave in various coniditions, for example
BB_DanFor a better description of our flagship product, read this: http://about.bloomberg.com/about/professional/index.html
BB_DanBloomberg developers typically build financial applications for our customers
BB_StuartBloomberg developers work on many projects. They can be just 1 person projects or larger ones with a group of 10 people. Since we cover all markets, all countries, FI, Equity, Trading Systems, Execution, There are 100s if not 1000s of proj going on
SecureCodingBB_Dan: Your server uses Solaris Sun OS 8... Why SunOS?
harvey6fthow many developers work at Bloomberg?
tepjust curious to know, what kind of developers does bloomberg looking for?
BB_Stuartharve6ft: 1500 or so developers work for bloomberg across the 3 programming office
eamigowhat does bloomberg do ???
SecureCodingBB_Stuart: Your server uses Solaris Sun OS 8... Why SunOS?
BB_Stuarttep: we are looking for smart people. For people right out of school we are looking for people who want to learn and can think, rather than a particular lang skill. That being said our main langs are c/C++
harvey6ftwhat is your interview process like?
BB_StuartWe have used a variety of machines over the years. Currently for many of our servers we use large machines of 24+ processors. These tend to be solaris or ibm machines. For other things we use farms of linux machines
BB_Stuartharvey6ft: there will first be on on campus or phone interview. After that, you will be brought to the office to interview here
SecureCodingBB_Stuart: I know some vulnerabilities in Solaris Sun OS 8... That's why I asked... Do you had any security problems?
BB_Stuartwe are moving away from it in most cases. no problems of that sort.
BB_StuartNow that there are a lot of new people here. Does anyone have any questions.
riteshkapoordo u have any openings for exp ppl - 3yrs on c,c++,linux,stl,multithreading,databases
BB_Stuartsure absolutely. We hire people of all experience levels. absolutley
geethanhow feasible do you consider that topcoder members are good ppl for your company?
riteshkapoorwhat if we're non-us/non-euro/non-visa ppl? :)
BB_DanWe hire the best possible talent
martin-gBB_Stuart: Who do you think is the main competitor for Bloomberg in financial market software?
BB_Stuartwe are looking for smart people. We think that topcoder embodies the skills we are looking for
riteshkapoorthnx for the info
BB_Stuartthe main competitors are companies like Reuters
ajaycodehi can any body tell me can an indian apply to bloomberg
abhicoolBB_Stuart: ya how can Indians get a part of Bloomberg ??
VizethaDo you have any trading product?
bekerpicowhat about egyptain ?
Dlougachthe same question about russian
BB_Stuartyes he have both an exectution prod and a trading product
Perseph0neAs far as skill is concerned, which of these dimensions, measured by TopCoder, do you guys see as more vital? (Design/Development/Algorithms/Marathon Matches)
ajaycodethat means indians dont have any chance of getting into bloomberg
VizethaThanx man!
BB_StuartThey are all important to being a good coder
abhicoolBB_Stuart: Sir how can Indians get to be a part of Bloomberg ??
TAGDo you have offices in Antarctica (near South Pole) ?
ajaycodeany body can tell me
BB_Stuartthere are no south pole offices
harvey6ftwhat is the working environment like? biz casual or suits?
BB_DanNeither
abhicoolTAG: when did you move to South Pole ?
datawranglerBB_Stuart: How about Chicagoland?
BB_DanMembers of R&D (programming) dress casually
BB_DanJeans
BB_Stuartcasual in R&D
TAGabhicool: 1/2 year ago
portobando you offer freelance oportunities?
BB_Stuartwe dont really do much with freelance
abhicoolTAG: wow i wonder how its like there ?
martin-gTAG: Are you alone there?
riteshkapoorBB* : is nationality a major factor in ur hiring process
BB_DanOur culture here is very unique.
TAGmartin-g: Are you kidding ? It's station with full of people
BB_DanWe have no offices or job titles.
S_A_R_O_JHello Stuart had a network break down ...
abhicoolBB_Dan: how can i join Bloomberg ?
BB_DanBy offices I mean private corner offices. We also have no cubicles.
BB_StuartWelcome back.
VizethaCould you tell me the technical details of your trading product (like language + platform)?
martin-gTAG: wow, so you weren't kidding :)
S_A_R_O_Jthank you Stuart
abhicoolTAG: station ?
BB_DanCheck out our openings here: careers.bloomberg.com
abhicoolTAG: like in fiction movies ?
Perseph0neBB_Stuart: To a certain extent it is possible to focus one's self-improvement energies towards one or the other (design/dev/etc.)... is there actually no distinction when it comes to recruitment, or is this too nebulous a question?
ajaycodecan v apply directly there
S_A_R_O_Jhello Dan
BB_Stuartyou can join bloomberg by applying. You can also apply though the web site
S_A_R_O_JWell does Bloomberg have any investments in India??
BB_Stuartit is too nebulous
BB_Stuartbloomberg has a small office in india
ajaycodehow will bloomberg hire us from india
S_A_R_O_JHmm and any openings for Indians
BB_Stuartour product in general is c/c++ unix
S_A_R_O_JI fancy c, unix windows and java
ajaycodehow can v apply there
VizethaBB_Stuart: It seems its common platform for bankikng. Thanx for the info.
BB_Stuartapply thorugh http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tournaments&d2=tccc06&d3=bloomberg
BB_Stuartyeah, well, UNIX and c/C++ are a great combo
ajaycodeok sir
jmpld40apply here: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tournaments&d2=tccc06&d3=bloomberg
riteshkapoorBB*: are you here for some other purpose apart from answering the questions about bloomberg
BB_DanBB_Stuart: Who is our TopCoder recruiter guy? Is he here?
TAGBB_Dan: harvey6ft probably
BB_Stuartyes I saw the topcoder guys earlier
harvey6ftyep, I'm here... TC recruiter
harvey6ftBrian Flood
harvey6ftbflood@topcoder.com
ajaycodehi tc recruiter what is the criteria or eligibility for hiring us
BB_DanBB_Stuart: Brian, If people are interested in applying for a job with Bloomberg, should they contact you as well?
harvey6ftBB_Dan: yes, they are encouraged to contact me
riteshkapoorwhats your mail id?
harvey6ftbflood@topcoder.com
harvey6ftbut, when you opt in to hear about bloomberg, you're going to hear from me
BB_Stuartso people who are just arriving here is a review:
jmpld40opt in here: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=tournaments&d2=tccc06&d3=bloomberg
BB_Stuartbloomberg is a company that provides software solutions to the financial markets. Our many langs are c/c++
martin-gBB_Stuart: Are there any demo versions of such software we could try?
BB_StuartWhen a JR programmer joins Bloomberg there is a 2 month training class to go into how the enviornment works, ect
maksdamirzmaks: hi
jagan_netHi bloomberg people ....
BB_Stuartjagan_net: hello
jagan_netwhat kind of skills is requried for the JOB
BB_DanHi
harvey6ftsorry... having connection issues
BB_Stuartjagan_net: our main langs are c/c++ on unix. BUT we are looking for smart programmers who want to learn
SmylicChmel_Tolstiy: hi
BB_DanWe are looking for software developers to help build financial applications
dnywhat kind of applications?
Chmel_TolstiySmylic: hi
felix_halimBB_Stuart: how many programmers are you looking for?
Chmel_TolstiySmylic: kak ono ?
kurigeadmin: do I lose any points if I register but don't compete?
Chmel_TolstiySmylic: да
jagan_netk .. I have exp in J2EE and Portal Development.
BB_Stuartbloomberg develops mainly financial applications
TheFaxmankurige: no
BB_DanWe are hiring a significant number of programmers this year.
TAGBB_Dan: H1b ?
ajaycodecan v apply directly or thru topcoder
ThomasTuttleYay, room assignments are coming!
ahyangyithe time is near
thx1138ajaycode: through TopCoder
harvey6ftSo, I've just found out that bloomberg does sponsonr F1 and H1 visas
TAGharvey6ft: What's requeired to apply for H1 in Bloomberg ?
shigWhat are F1 and H1 visas? Are they limited by 4 yr degrees?
wyygood mooorning :D
BB_Stuartwe have only a few minutes left any last questions
BB_DanHi, I work for Bloomberg, L.P. Does anybody have any questions about job opportunities with our company?
czester21:]
ThomasTuttleIt's fun watching people fly out of the room as they get assigned!
S_A_R_O_Jcan i get ur ids
vetiarvindyup:D
TAGBB_Dan: Dan, thank you - but most of coders have to compete in event sponsored by your company
TAGBB_Dan: Thanks !
harvey6ftthanks everyone!
UweBloomberg develops a wide range of applications, mostly in C++ under a Unix environment.
ThomasTuttleAm I still here?
S_A_R_O_Jto get in touch later and know more about the oppurtunities and the exciting stuff the company is involving in
S_A_R_O_Jemaild-id