Peterpayhi
trevorfo_MSNI'm from MSN.
Peterpayhow do you do
trevorfo_MSNGreat, you?
Peterpayhow are the things in MSN
Peterpayfine, working and working
trevorfo_MSNThings are pretty awesome.
Peterpaywhat kind of skills are you looking in programmers
trevorfo_MSNI'm in Windows OneCare Live, and the skills we're looking for are quite varied.
trevorfo_MSNFrom core Windows C++ programming (you can learn the windows part, c++ is harder), to C# web services, to data warehousing.
Peterpayfor example. i've a Bsc in Computer Science, my interest areas are Image Processing , Data Mining and NLP
trevorfo_MSNThat sounds like a good fit for some of the areas in MSN, but maybe we'll get more MSN people in here who can talk about other stuff.
trevorfo_MSNI'm just a developer in OneCare.
Peterpayand what do you do there
trevorfo_MSNI'm a dev lead working on the core infrastructure pieces for OneCare.
Peterpayi'm from mexico, how many posibilites for an Visa Sponsorship
Peterpayhow is your recluitment method
trevorfo_MSNAt Microsoft overall, I've generally seen us looking for talent first, and then putting the lawyers on getting people to work.
Peterpayyeah
trevorfo_MSNI don't know all the ins and outs, but we hire people from all around the world.
trevorfo_MSNall the time.
Peterpaythat's great, im know working in WinFX, not much but i know some things, there are going to be opportunities for Winfx avalon and indgo programmers
trevorfo_MSNOur recruitment usually starts with resume screens, then for the resumes that look good, we usually do a phone screen for 30 minutes to an hour, then if that goes well, we fly you up to Redmond for a day of technical interview.
trevorfo_MSNare those the main things you're interested in?
DarLamMicrosoft doesn't work with Java, do it?
trevorfo_MSNHaven't seen a lot of Java inside Microsoft, no. My team does a lot of C# though.
Peterpayyes
Peterpayi like to spend time in research about Regex, image processing, and web mining and programming some problems in c#
trevorfo_MSNMSN search might be an interesting place to look then.
Peterpayand how many mexicans are in msn, just a number not exactly
revtekniqueswhat do you mean by mexicans?
Peterpaymexican developers
revtekniquesfrom the US or mexico?
Peterpayfrom mexico,
revtekniquesto be honest.. i am not sure...
revtekniquesbut they will be in the room shortly....and you can check with them then...
Peterpayok
trevorfo_MSNmy great grandmother was from Mexico, and I am in MSN. :)
revtekniquesbut a majority of their developers work in mountain view, California
revtekniquesand redmond, Washington
revtekniquestrevor..do you work for msn?
trevorfo_MSNyes
miketrevorfo: we are looking into it
revtekniqueswho did you speak with from msn about this chat?
agusleshi there
Peterpayi dont know how many areas of research are there in msn
agusleswho is from msn here?
trevorfo_MSNI'm from MSN.
agusleshi, trevorfo. Im from argentina, and im wondering if there are any available bost around here
revtekniquesdo you work in WA or CA?
agusles(not bost, posts)
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: Unfortunately, as I work in a fairly specific part of MSN (Windows OneCare), I don't know too much about all the research that takes place either. I'm sure there is a lot around search and communities.
trevorfo_MSNagusles: Sorry I don't understand.
trevorfo_MSNrevtekniques: I work in WA, originally from CA though.
revtekniquesnice...
aguslestrevorfo:
revtekniquestrevorfo: how did you hear about this? from kimberly?
trevorfo_MSNHey guys, the admins just told me that I should log out and log back in with an MSN on my name, so I'll be right back.
Peterpayok, but how are the skills in programming that you are looking for
Peterpayok
trevorfo_MSNok, now I'm official.
Peterpayok
revtekniquestrevorfo: nice
trevorfo_MSNnow you don't have to take my word for it.
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: r u hiring people from argentina?
Peterpayand how is the work enviroment?
trevorfo_MSNagusles: We hire great people from all around the world. You should see the place.
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: That's a pretty open-ended question. Anything in particular you're interested in?
trevorfo_MSNOverall, I'd say the work is fun, and very challenging.
syisunnySo many people come in
kmc127min GPA for msn?
sidarokHi, I live inurkey. Do I st
debugger123hai traver good night
bodqare there job openings in Ukraine?
sidarokill have the chance to be hired by ms?
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: what's the working environment like?
trevorfo_MSNkmc127: GPA is just one of many factors we might look at. No explicit minimum.
debugger123is there any opportunities for java people
kmc127thanks trevorfo
nicka81are there any opportunities for Linux people? :)
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: Hi!
revtekniquestrevorfo: how long have you been with msn now?
debugger123ya i am here trevor
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: I think it adds to the environment. Always a lot of discussion with lots of points of view, which works great.
Kimberly_MSNYaaay...finally I am in!
zerokrevtekniques: what type of people are you looking for ?
Peterpaywhat school qualifications do you expect in applicants
capoeiristtrevorfo_MSN: any machine learning opportunities at MSN?
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: Someone who's skills are in Java and are talented, definitely have a place in MSN. The chances of actually _working_ on Java, though, are slim to none.
debugger123trevorf
debugger123thanks trevorfo_MSN
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: what is the average age of people at msn?
trevorfo_MSNrevtekniques: I've been with Microsoft for over 5 years, Windows OneCare for 3 years, and Windows OneCare was moved to MSN in the past year or so. Hard to give a direct answer to that one.
revtekniquestrevorfo: :)
filomathWhat's the age of the youngest guy/gal at MSN ?
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: any machine learning opportunities at MSN?
revtekniquestrevorfo: have you interviewed any topcoder members recently?
web_masterdoes MCAD people have more chance that others?
Kimberly_MSNhi!
nicka81hello
Kimberly_MSNyes, actually there are! what is your background
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: hello
revtekniquesKimberly_MSN: morning kimberly
Peterpayhey Kimberly_MSN , any image processing and NLP opportunities??
kmc127what edu requirements are there?
awareWhat do I have to learn if I want to get a job in MSN
Kimberly_MSNGood morning !
Peterpaygood morning Kimberly_MSN
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: We look at a lot of things about a candidate, but a bachelor's degree is usually a requirement unless you've written some major project on your own or have a lot of experience shipping great software or something else that shows techical talent
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: i'm a grad student. background in clustering, svm, a bit of reinforcement learning
Kimberly_MSNHello everyone!!!!
michael_luohi
kmc127could i have the app link again?
Kimberly_MSNyes...we could use that type of experience
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: text processing also
trevorfo_MSNLots of age questions. The age range is pretty wide, from about 20 (interns) to 22 (college grads) to 45 or 50, and the executives seem much older. :)
Kimberly_MSNca
filomath;)
Kimberly_MSNca
filomathSo no teens there ?:)
trevorfo_MSNrevtekniques: A coworker did and was pretty impressed by one of them recently.
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist...be sure to submit your resume
revtekniquestrevorfo_MSN: nice
trevorfo_MSNrevtekniques: I'm a little biased since I'm a TC member.
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: ok
revtekniquestrevorfo_MSN: :)
revtekniquesto apply to MSN, http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: what do you do at MSN?
Kimberly_MSNhas anyone had login issues today...dang! took me a half hour to get in!!!
forceyeverything works right here.
kmc127got right in 5 mins ago
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: i am a Staffing Consultant
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: how many people do you expect to hire from topcoder?
Peterpaysorry admin
trevorfo_MSNweb_master: MCAD isn't a huge advantage in the product development groups. A bachelor's degree or equivalent is.
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: i work with the candidates interested in careers at MSN - now WindowsLIVE!!!
forceyIs MSN interested in part-time student?
kmc127will you look at our topcoder scores? =)
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: having done outside projects of any kind is a plus in my opinion.
revtekniqueskmc127: of course!
Peterpayok
kmc127hehehe
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: We DEFINITELY look at TC scores!!!
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: how can i find out more about the potential machine learning-related projects?
jasw_MSNkmc127: Yes, we'll look at TC scores & resumes in conjunction
albertoHi, I have a major in computer science, and I am finishing a master in computer science with a project in Graph Theory. Is this kind of background desirable? For which place in MSN is it desirable?
Peterpayand how is msn with respect to training
trevorfo_MSNagusles: As many super talented ones as we can.
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: i haven't get full details of live can you please tell me what is it for?
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: what level of TC scores do you expect?
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: Hi what kind of skills you expect most ?
albertoI also did some research in Crpytography during undergrad.
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: I have several hiring managers who are logged in so you can post that question.
web_mastertrevorfo_MSN: what r the countries u looking for emplooyes in?
forceyExcuse me, is MSN interested in part-time student?
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: We are interested in most of the TC candidates due to their passion for technology
Peterpaytrevorfo_MSN: how many TC points do you expect
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: and their top coding capabilitites
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: do you know Bill Gates?
Peterpaytrevorfo_MSN: for an applicant
jasw_MSNforcey: Yes, MS has internship opportunities available for students
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: fair enough
albertoI also took place in two World Finals of ICPC
trevorfo_MSNweb_master: From wherever in the world there are smart people (i.e., everywhere).
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: you should submit yourself!
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: what is main use of windlows live
capoeiristKimberly_MSN: i will
Kimberly_MSNcapoeirist: With WindowsLIVE, we are doing some amazing dev work right now
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: Your TC score is another data point, no set minimum, but the higher the better in general.
Peterpaytrevorfo_MSN: ok, Kimberly_MSN what do you do in msn
trevorfo_MSNagusles: I don't know Bill personally, but I did shake his hand once, something like 7 years ago as an intern.
aguslestrevorfo_MSN: hah, tx trevorfo_MSN
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: I am a Staffing Consultant with MSN...essentially MSN's recruiting
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: Is there a good chance for .NET programmers?
Kimberly_MSNlordhiru: YES definitely!!!
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: how many opportunities are for .nEt programmers and image processing
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: hay but got a problem
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: OMG!!!...I am soo busy right now hiring .NET folks....I have 1900 openings this year!!!
trevorfo_MSNlordhiru: For good ones, yes. But in fact, we look for raw smarts and technical skills more than specific technologies, since at MS things change rapidly.
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: Im from Sri Lanka do you think ill have a chance
hallan_cslbfacci: aew
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: we typically look for .Net, C#, C++ skills and a variety of other coding skills
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: do you think if i get a MCSD in C# could be an advantage
ibbuKimberly_MSN: and how many did u guys fired
debugger123Kimberly_MSN: what is the main use of windows live traver
trevorfo_MSNlordhiru: I don't see any reason why not, from being from Sri Lanka.
albertotrevorfo_MSN: Hi, I have a major in computer science, and I am finishing a master in computer science with a project in Graph Theory. I also did some research in Crpytography during undergrad.....
albertotrevorfo_MSN: And I also took part as contestant in two World Finals of ICPC. Most of my programming is in C/C++. And I am very good in theoretical Computing. Is this kind of background desirable? For which place in MSN is it desirable?
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: since we support the MCSD, it is not a requirement for employment, you can obtain that cert on the job
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: Do you think is there a chance MS start a developing center in Sri lanka
forceymsn admins must be very busy now:(
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: we are in tremendous growth mode due to WindowsLIVE
trevorfo_MSNalberto: what kinds of stuff do you want to work on? If you're good, and interested in some of the stuff MSN is doing, it's desirable.
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: CAN YOU PLEASE ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION I AM WAITING SINCE 10 MINS
trevorfo_MSNlordhiru: that's something i don't know anything about, sorry.
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: and in c++ programming and c# what skills are you looking
farookhmdebugger123: whats you question?
prunthabanlor
revtekniquesforcey: why do you say that?
kmc127will you be topcoding today? =)
Kimberly_MSNforcey: unfortunately, part time is probably not a big need at this time
prunthabanlordhiru: You are from which place in Srilanka?
forceyrevtekniques: since nobody replied..
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: sorry, there are a lot of questions going by. live is a set of services delivered on the web that are built to work well with one another.
farookhmwe are looking for developers who are good in OO design and good in C++ or C#
lordhirutrevorfo_MSN: it ok, what do you think about the competition with google?
felix_halimforcey: perhaps you should point to one of the msn admins, so it will be highlighted like this
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: repeat your q please?
BryanSt_MSFTWe are hiring for Windows Live. My project is Windows Live Messenger and other not yet released products.
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: and in c++ programming and c# what skills are you looking
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: I have gone through windows live site, But I didn't what is core part for their webpage
forceythanx. must gone for a while. good luck to everyone in the contest.
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: what do you mean by core part?
kinfkongadmins: Hi, I have one question: Does MSN need the people who knows only alogrithm, but nothing about other computers?
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: good dev and also testing - ability to break code
lordhiruprunthaban: Colombo
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: overall technical curiosity
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: ya, trevor I got your point thanks
prunthabanlordhiru: I am from Jaffna
BryanSt_MSFTWe are looking for people who can solve hard problems and are great coders. We code mostly in C++. Some teams are doing more C# over time.
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: HELLO JAS MSN
OlexiyOkinfkong: I think you can ask MSN people about that
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: for your kind acknowledgement
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: HI BryanSt_MSFT
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: hello jasw_MSN
alongdebugger123: I guess it's AJAX, just try to learn from google :)
trevorfo_MSNMy team does a lot of C# work.
Peterpayjasw_MSN: hi
lordhiruprunthaban: yo thats great nice to sri lankan here
kinfkongOlexiyO: Who is MSN people here? haha
jasw_MSNHi everyone, I'm a Staffing Consultant for MSN
PeterpayBryanSt_MSFT: hi
nufyootwhat is the likely hood of a C# .NET programmer being hired outside of Microsoft?
BryanSt_MSFTThe funny thing about AJAX is that it was invented by Microsoft. Exchange has "OWA" (Outlook Web Access) which pioneered the AJAX type of technology.
supernegroASP.Net ahas client call back L:)
OlexiyOkinfkong: go to MSN lobby
OlexiyOkinfkong: there are a lot of them
BryanSt_MSFTOWA may be the first and best AJAX client.
prunthabanlordhiru: I am seeing the
trevorfo_MSNnufyoot: I've worked with C# programmers from outside MS, but don't know the answer to that.
albertotrevorfo_MSN: I heard there is a very good research center in OS. I guess they could use someone with theoretical abilities. Besides that, I dont know what the other areas MS work are.
prunthabanlordhiru: For the first time I am seeing a Srilankan here!
alongBryanSt_MSFT: Yes, OWA is great. In my last job they use that, I enjoyed it.
Kimberly_MSNDoes anyone have any questions for MSN Recruiters?
lordhiruprunthaban: me too
BryanSt_MSFTHas anyone use our operating system under development? Windows Vista?
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: how many rounds of interview in Microsoft
trevorfo_MSNalberto: I'm guessing if you have an interest, someone at MS is in to it. I know there is OS research going on.
lordhiruprunthaban: but i guess this is your first event
kcluneKimberly_MSN: Is there a minimum TC score you are looking for?
Peterpayopportunities about image processing, web mining data mining and NLP
Peterpay???
Peterpayare there any?
BryanSt_MSFTThe graphics layer improvements are nice. Graphics are now rendered to textures and pushed to the GPU. 3-D geometry can then be used by the Windows Manager.
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: Usually a phone screen and then a day of interviews, then a decision fairly quickly.
prunthabanlordhiru: ya... But I am an old member... I dont attend much...
farookhmI am with the services group in MSN/WindowsLive. We develop services like Messenger and MSN Spaces and are looking for strong C++ (or C#) developers
alongBryanSt_MST: I've heard that MS is going to move graphics subsystem out of the kernel, right?
aussieKimberly_MSN: do people transfer around between different departments at MS much? I.E. I'm very interested in a few different areas, would it be easy enough to start in one and possibly move to another after a few years or so?
farookhmAnd also database developers
prunthabanlordhiru: I participated in Google India Code Jam last year
crawfjsHow quickly are you needing to fill your positions?
farookhmcrawfjs:as soon as possible :)
Kimberly_MSNaussie: people transfer ALL the time...that's what is so great...longevity of career
trevorfo_MSNcrawfjs: As quickly as we can find great people!
cpphamzahi MSN guys
farookhmhi cpphamza
lordhiruprunthaban: hay shall we move to another room and chat
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: Hi there!!!
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: WHAT IS FUTURE RELEASE OF MICROSOFT PRODUC
BryanSt_MSFTPeople can transfer around MS. I've personally worked on the following products over the last 10 years: IE v3,4,5, Win98/ME/2000/XP, MSN Explorer v8, and now Live. (plus buiding the spam filter)
trevorfo_MSNThe OneCare team has lots of open slots and we're really gated on finding great people, which is hard.
lordhiruprunthaban: otherwise we ll be disturbing the others
prunthabanlordhiru: which one? The main room?
Peterpayjasw_MSN: what about research vacancies in NLP and Image processing?
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: sorry i don't understand.
lordhiruprunthaban: chat room 1
prunthabanlordhiru: ok
BryanSt_MSFTWe have a lot of need for image processing and web data mining. We do code NLP.
cpphamzacan you tell me more about job opportunituies available in MSN
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: we are hiring over 1500 positions...mostly domestic due to GROWTH.
PeterpayBryanSt_MSFT: and what approachs in image processing do you look
BryanSt_MSFTWe will be hiring quite a bit over the next two years. Live is under quick development right now.
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: what specifically do you want to know
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: WHAT IS MICROSOFT'S FUTURE RELEASE, I MEAN NEW PRODUCT
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: LIVE is our hottest product right now
jasw_MSNPeterpay: Yes, we do have research openings that would require NLP & image processing within MSFT
BryanSt_MSFTOur Windows Live announcements was a nice "peek" into the future.
trevorfo_MSNcpphamza: There are several of us here from different teams in MSN, doing all kinds of work. I'm on the Windows OneCare team, and we do a lot of stuff--C++, C#, SQL, ASP.NET, CryptoAPI. We need people with all kinds of skills.
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: R&D PRODUCT
capoeiristBryanSt_MSFT: what kind of techniques are you using for spam filtering?
oldbamAre there any scholarships for summer studies?
cpphamzai would like to know what job roles you are asking for, in which countries etc
farookhmWe do image processing for things like facial recognition, object recognition, etc.
BryanSt_MSFTAnyone here can apply at the bottom of http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: well OneCare is one future product. :) www.windowsonecare.com
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: devs, SDET, program managers
yadakishoretrevorfo_MSN: how do u select people
cpphamzaby the way i just graduated this year and am working for IBM cairo lab
BryanSt_MSFTWe can explain all about opportunities at Microsoft.
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: great!!
Bi11Digital Image Process
trevorfo_MSNyadakishore: We look at a variety of factors: TC score, experience, outside projects, etc. There's no "formula" for finding smart people.
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: what do you do in the lab? how many topcoder matches have you participated in?
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: THANKS TREVOR
Peterpayimage filtering, image enhacement and all image processing techniques
BryanSt_MSFTProgrammings in my team in Windows Live code: databases, networking stack, crypto, UI, etc.
trevorfo_MSNyadakishore: school
cbdcybBtw0: hi btw0
yadakishoretrevorfo_MSN: na.. working
BryanSt_MSFTThere are internships during the summer.
Kimberly_MSNBryanSt_MSFT projects are extremely challenging
jasw_MSNcpphamza: Congrats on graduating! We're hiring recent grads & experience industry candidates
BryanSt_MSFTWe are looking for US positions primarily. SDE, SDET, and PM.
diecastI posted my resume on Microsoft's site over a year ago and never heard anything. Do you look at them?
yadakishoretrevorfo_MSN: whtz the recruitment process 4 experienced persons
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: WHAT IS NEXT VERSION OF MS-OS?
zerokBryanSt_MSFT: what type of people are you looking for ?
john7331Are positions primarily located in renton?
Kimberly_MSNDoes anyone have any general questions on what it's like to work at MSN?
trevorfo_MSNfor the uninitiated, that means software engineers, software engineers who write test automation code, and "program managers" which are really more of a semi-project manager for a particular feature
crawfjsKimberly_MSN: Is relocation a requirement
slexKimberly_MSN: what is like to work at MSN in general?
Kimberly_MSNdiecast: yes, we utilize our candidate database daily.
ftomiKimberly_MSN: What it the average age of employees?
cpphamzasorry MSN guys i just had some networking problems
jasw_MSNjohn7331: Most positions are located at our headquarters in Redmond, WA (Seattle)
kanishkkunalsujitkumar: hi
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: how is the training opportunities for the people that works there
farookhmpositions are primarily in redmond, WA, but also in silicon valley
Kimberly_MSNcrawfjs: relo depends on what area.
Bi11admin: What will happen while the time is reaching 12:00
BryanSt_MSFTWe are looking for smart and strong coders. We look for raw potential.
Kimberly_MSNftomi: average age is approx. 35
trevorfo_MSNyadakishore: generally the same as for anyone--we'll look at the resume, possibly do a phone screen, and then if that all works well, fly you in for interviews.
farookhmage isn't a factor when we hire smart people
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: Windows Vista
GaisanWho can give me an advice : What Compiler & IDA should I use to hav no Problems?
yadakishoretrevorfo_MSN: oh.. k
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: TREVOR, DOES MICROSOFT GOING TO RELEASE ANY NEW LANGUAGE LIKE VB,VC++
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: my guess is yes
TheFaxmanBi11: you'll get a message asking if you want to move to your room
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: but don't know of anything on the horizon.
farookhmwe released C# and VB.NET
Kimberly_MSNftomi: correct, we hire all ages, but from a stat, average age is 35
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: have you seen the LINQ stuff? awesome.
crawfjsIs there a general salary range that you are able to dislose?
cpphamzawell how can i apply for one of the positions you do offer?
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: NO TREVOR, YOU MEAN TO STAY
Kimberly_MSNcrawfjs: no, sorry; however, we are competitive
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: ?
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: TopCoder has links set up for application; and job descriptions; Please do apply!
PeterLiI thought 35 is a little bit old
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: I DIDN'T GET , WHAT IS LINQ STUFF
aussietrevorfo_MSN: yeah, can't wait for that. although some of the new languages features that are there to enable linq are more interesting to me than linq itself.
jasw_MSNcrawfjs: the salary range depends upon the combination of your education & work experience
BryanSt_MSFTWe pay very well, probably the best answer we can give. Experienced people that do well on the interview will match industry experience.
cpphamzayou mean through topcoder website?
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: try search.msn.com, 3rd hit for me
ftomiKimberly_MSN: How much do you pay for a fresh graduated with master degree?
cpphamzado you have the link?
Kimberly_MSNcpphamza: yes
revtekniqueshttp://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn to apply
farookhmLINQ stands for Language Integrated Query and it allows you to do database queries (for instance) from C# directly
Kimberly_MSNftomi: i cannot make an assement at this time
farookhmyou can search for LINQ on MSN Search to get more info. Or search on MSDN
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: OK, FOLKS, THANKS FOR YOUR KIND INFOR
trevorfo_MSNHope all the smart people go to that link and apply.
jasw_MSNPlease apply for MSN job opportunities at the following: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
Peterpaytrevorfo_MSN: thanks for your time
Kimberly_MSNWe have a ton of perks in addition to a stimulating environment.
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: thanks for your time and info
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: A pleasure!
diecastStock options?
yourmamaHello
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: you are welcome! i hope you look at some of our open positions!
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: I HEARD THAT MICROSOFT AND SUN HAD SOME TIEUPS IS IT TRUE?
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: where i can see your vacancies
farookhmWe offer stock awards
jasw_MSNdiecast: We no longer have stock option, but we offer shares of stock that vest over 5 years
yourmamaI am looking for internship at MSN . Is that possible ?
farookhmyes, we do offer internships
trevorfo_MSNdebugger123: don't know
yourmamafrom australia
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: please go to the TopCoder MSN site...there you can find out how to apply
RyanIs MSN a subset of Microsoft?
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: ry
trevorfo_MSNRyan: yes, MSN is a division.
farookhmyes, MSN is a group within Microsoft
trevorfo_MSNRyan: more of a subtree
Kimberly_MSNryan, we are a division of Microsoft
BryanSt_MSFTHere is why I enjoy working at Microsoft. You make friends across the company and chat with your friends about products across the industry. (Live, IE, Spaces, Messenger, SQL, low level OS, XBox, DirectX, CryptoAPIs, Research, etc.)
BryanSt_MSFTOften ideas you give your friends gets into products. You can ship a product and switch to a new team if you want.
jasw_MSNWe have tons of career growth opportunities & challenges within MSN so please apply through the TC website
BryanSt_MSFTWe are hiring for MSN and Windows Live. In Windows Live you can write code that ships in the Windows OS and can ship in the Live product downloads.
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: IN WHICH YOU ARE WORKING NOw?
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: w
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: W
debugger123trevorfo_MSN: if you don't mind
mikefor those interested - the URL to apply for MSN employment is here:
mikehttp://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
trevorfo_MSNI work on Windows OneCare. www.windowsonecare.com. There's also people from MSN and Windows Live www.live.com or ideas.live.com
farookhmAnd also people from messenger.msn.com and spaces.msn.com
BryanSt_MSFTI work on a product that isn't yet announced. My peer team is Windows Live Messenger (previously MSN Messenger).
trevorfo_MSNfarookhm: was hoping the live pages point to those. if not we ought to fix that.
trevorfo_MSN:)
yourmamawhat are selections criterias for intern positions ?
farookhmagree trevor
aradilwhat is msn live?
yourmamamy dream to work at msn
BryanSt_MSFTIf you want an idea of what it is like to design products for Microsoft, please watch this video about developments in this one area: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/archives/pdc2005/
yourmamaiam doing 3rd software eng
BryanSt_MSFTIt will show you a team improving on part of Windows.
farookhmfor interns, we look for smart people with lots of curiousity to learn
trevorfo_MSNyourmama: really smart, really passionate about technology
Peterpaytrevorfo_MSN: me again, are there interns opportunities for overseas
BryanSt_MSFTSelection criteria for all candiates is during the inteview at Microsoft campus.
psangeljgare intern positions avilable for foreign students ? and if yes, where can i learn more about applying for an intern position ?
aradiltrevorfo_MSN: What is this Live I keep hearing you guys talk about?
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: that's probably a question for Kim
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: are ther inter positions for overseas
trevorfo_MSNPeterpay: Windows OneCare does some development at our India Development Center for Microsoft.
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: typically not...it is usually located in Redmond
GaisanIs it true, that there are some 12-14 years old boys, who work in Microsoft?
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: ok well thanks and see you
farookhmWindows Live is a set of online services - you can see www.live.com, ideas.live.com
jasw_MSNMSN is a global division of MSFT so we do have international job openings
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: where are you located?
trevorfo_MSNaradil: it's a set of web services that will work well together. check out what we have so far at www.live.com and ideas.live.com
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: mexico
diecastDo you pay expenses if we have to go to Redmond for interview?
BryanSt_MSFTI have a few posts on http://spaces.msn.com/members/BryanStarbuck. Live is about giving users free powerful software. Client software that talks to servers that unify the clients. Also web front ends.
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: oh great...we may do a recruiting trip there this year
farookhmwe fly you to redmond, all expenses paid
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: really
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: we've discussed it
aussiefarookhm: is www.live.com meant to have more than just a search box yet? because that's all I've ever seen when I've gone there.
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: where i can found info about it
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: nothing planned yet but we've talked about it
PeterpayKimberly_MSN: thats great, i'll be waiting
BryanSt_MSFTwww.live.com is similar to my.yahoo.com. A good starting page.
farookhmon www.live.com you can personalize it to include the rss feeds you care about, the news feeds you care about, etc.
debugger123DEAR MSN FOLKS THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!
BryanSt_MSFTideas.live.com is the list of all Live products currently announced. (Much more coming)
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: watch the news...we're going to canada in Feb...probably target Mexico in june/july
jasw_MSNThanks & good luck in your SRMs today!
trevorfo_MSNOne thing I'd keep in mind if I were you guys. When I was graduating college 7 years ago, I never thought I'd want to live in the Seattle area. But hey, free plane trip, and it was pretty nice. I've now lived here for quite a few years.
Kimberly_MSNdebugger123: bye! :)
ExcilusIs it possible that MSN will at some point bundle with it a distributed computing scientific project?
Peterpayok thanks Kimberly_MSN and all msn guys!!!
Peterpaysee you soon
trevorfo_MSNApply and see what happens. Could change your life.
Kimberly_MSNGood luck everyone!!!
Peterpaygoodluck for everyone in SRM
Kimberly_MSNPeterpay: bye...good luck!!!
BryanSt_MSFTGood luck everyone! Have fun!!
trevorfo_MSNgl all
Kimberly_MSNthanks everyone!!!
abhicoolbye MSN buddies
crawfjsKimberly_MSN: Thanks again for your time and the info
farookhmbye abhicool
trevorfo_MSNbye abh
Kimberly_MSNcrawfjs: my pleasure! good luck today!!! :)
athenachu71how long does it take to process an application form?
jasw_MSNThanks to all of the MSN managers online today!
crawfjsKimberly_MSN: Thank you.
trevorfo_MSNathenachu71: we've been turning around the TopCoder ones pretty fast. Within several weeks at most I'd guess.
athenachu71I sent one a month a go but received no replies
jasw_MSNathenachu71: if you apply through Top Coder, we'll contact you within 2 weeks if you match our requirements
Kimberly_MSNtrevorfo_MSN: we're changing that to target responding WEEKLY
Kimberly_MSNtrevorfo_MSN: to increase our turn around
athenachu71jasw_MSN: I apply through recommendation of staff
Kimberly_MSNathenachu71: yes...submit through the topcoder site
DevMasterwhat if I was interviewed before for other Microsoft teams?
farookhmDevMaster: you can still apply
Kimberly_MSNtrevorfo_MSN: gotcha
jasw_MSNDevMaster: you can still apply for MSN
ZorroCodekim
Kimberly_MSNZorroCode: yessss?
revtekniquesTo APPLY - http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
plumare there any internship opportunities ?
ZorroCodekimberly_MSN: I wasnt to know wht is the minimum duration i can AGAIN n apply for microsoft
revtekniquesif there are any other questions... please feel free to email me at jquach@topcoder.com
ZorroCodekimberly_MSN: i have given the interview before want to apply again
mhmdbakrplz help me i register in math 277 and i don't know how to start
farookhmyes, there are internship opportunities available
farookhmi think registration for match 277 is closed
Kimberly_MSNtreveor: aaah this is moving to fast!
mhmdbakri registered
plumhi farookhm
asadfirozeAre there openings in Toronto Canada
farookhmhi plum
stempelgl
plumcould you tell me where I could look for the information ?
mhmdbakrand my handle in Rigisterant
revtekniquesplum: http://www.topcoder.com/tc?module=Static&d1=contracting&d2=msn
plumis MSN intern and MS intern the same ?
farookhmyou can use the link that rev just sent
jasw_MSNplum: YES
farookhmyes plum, MSN is a division of MS
jasw_MSNplum: yes
jerschneidmhmdbakr: Soon you will be able to use the Active Contests/Enter menu, i believe.
trevorfo_MSNMSN intern is a type of MS intern
revtekniquesmhmdbakr: you will get a message to move to the proper room
tuanpmgl all
revtekniquesmhmdbakr: shortly
ZorroCodetrevorfo_MSN: I had given interview at MS before ..want to know when i can again apply ??
mhmdbakr?
notadrummeri think you wait for "Enter" to appear in the contest dropdown menu
RelishT-1 min
plumthank revtekniques
nessus.youis java desirable by MSFT?
revtekniquesplum: np
plumso if i have applied for intern at MS website
farookhmzorro: yes you can apply
trevorfo_MSNzorrocode: depends on your specific situation. no harm in applying again.
revtekniquestrevorfo_MSN: hey trevor
trevorfo_MSNhey!
farookhmnessus.you:we hire smart people, we don't do much work in java, but if you are good at java, chances are you are good at C++ too.